|Tuesday||Jan-01||New Year's Day|
|Wednesday||Jan-02||Day after New Year's Day|
|Monday||Jan-21||Wellington Anniversary Day||Monday closest to 22 January|
|Monday||Jan-28||Auckland Anniversary Day||Monday nearest to January 29 (Auckland Anniversary Day)|
|Monday||Feb-04||Nelson Anniversary Day||Monday nearest to February 1|
|Wednesday||Feb-06||Waitangi Day||National Day|
|Monday||Mar-11||Taranaki Anniversary Day||Second Monday in March|
|Monday||Mar-25||Otago Anniversary Day||Monday nearest to the actual day|
|Friday||Apr-19||Good Friday||The Friday before Easter Sunday|
|Monday||Apr-22||Easter Monday||Monday after Easter Sunday|
|Tuesday||Apr-23||Southland Anniversary Day||Observed on Easter Tuesday|
|Monday||Jun-03||Queen's Birthday||The first Monday in June|
|Monday||Sep-23||Dominion Day||Fourth Monday in September|
|Friday||Oct-25||Hawkes Bay Anniversary Day||Friday before Labour Day|
|Monday||Oct-28||Labour Day||The fourth Monday in October|
|Monday||Nov-04||Marlborough Anniversary Day||First Monday after Labour Day|
|Friday||Nov-15||Christchurch Show Day||Northern and Central Canterbury. Second Friday after the first Tuesday in November|
|Monday||Dec-02||Chatham Islands Anniversary Day||Monday nearest to November 30|
|Monday||Dec-02||Westland Anniversary Day||Monday nearest to December 1 (Greymouth)|
Statutory holidays are legislated by several Acts of Parliament, particularly the Holidays Act 2003.
Since 2014, if ANZAC Day and Waitangi Day fall on weekend the following Monday will be a holiday.
Understand local customs and benefits using our benchmark country guidesGet Country Benchmark
Please fill out the form to get:
– A free copy of our Europe benchmark & benefits guide –
– Our end of year unique offering –
Employer of Record
As low as $700 per month
Discounts apply for a group of employees
From $10 per cycle
Fixed pricing per employee, no other hidden costs
Application costs start at $500
Work directly with the best immigration firms globally
Starting at $50 Per Month
Minimum monthly wage is $16.50 NZD hourly.
Full time employment is considered 40 hours a week.
Overtime agreeemtns must be made between the emploter and employee prior to completion of overtime hours.
Hours worked during public holidays are paid at 150% normal rage, as well as an additional day off.
All New Zelanders in the country for at least 10 years are entiled to a national suppernation benefit called NZ super from retirement age. An additional voluntary scheme called Kiwisaver must be offered at a rate if 3% of workers wages paid both by employer and the employee.
There is no specified social security tax amount. It is funded through general taxation and benefits included assitnace to elderly, sick, widowed and unemployed.
Employees have the right to request a written reason for dismissal within 60 days of being informed of dissmissal. Employers must provide statement within 14 days of the request. Required notice period is agreed upon in employment contract.
The length of advance notice is mentioned in the employment agreement. Differs for each company.
Severance payments include the hours worked until the final day and any unused annual leave or days in lieu payments.
Employee is entitled to 4 weeks of vacation.
After 6 months of working in the company, employee will receive 5 paid sick days and from there on 5 days of paid sick leave for every 12 months working in the company.
Sick leave entitlements are not pro-rated in any way. For example, even if a part-time employee only works three days a week, they still get five days’ sick leave a year and can accumulate up to 20 sick days a year.
In New Zealand, maternity leave is known as primary carer leave. It is available to expecting mothers, or her spouse or partner if they have all or part of the birth mother's parental leave payments transferred to them.
- Primary carer leave can be taken for up to 18 weeks and must be taken in one continuous period. Primary care leave can't be taken if the employee has already taken any period of parental leave or similar leave in relation to that child.
- o Primary carer leave starts on the due date or the date childbirth starts if the child is born to the employee. In any other case primary carer leave starts on the date that the employee becomes the primary carer in respect of the child. The employee can start their primary carer leave up to six weeks (or earlier with the employer’s consent) before the baby’s due date or the date on which the employee will become the primary carer of the child.
In New Zealand, paternity leave is known as partners leave. Partners leave starts 21 days before the due date, or the date your partner or spouse became the primary carer for a child under six years. Leave ends 21 days after the baby is born (unless the baby is discharged from a hospital more then 21 days after the birth, in which case the partner's leave time frame ends on the day the child is discharged).
** If agreed upon with employer, partners leave can begin at any time.
The amount of extended leave that an employee may take depends on whether each parent meets either the six month or 12 month time criteria (see below). Extended leave may be shared by two parents who both meet the criteria, and they can take it at the same time or one after the other:
- Employees who meet the 12 month criteria may take up to 52 weeks extended leave (less the number of weeks primary carer leave taken, up to 18 weeks). If two parents are sharing the leave and they both meet the 12 month criteria then they share this amount.
- Employees who meet the six month criteria may take up to 26 weeks in total (less the number of weeks primary carer leave taken, up to 18 weeks). If two parents are sharing the leave and they both meet the six month criteria then they share this amount.
- If one parent meets the 12 month criteria and the other parent meets the six month criteria then the person who has only worked for six months cannot take more than 26 weeks of the total 52 weeks (less the number of weeks primary carer leave taken up to 18 weeks) available to the couple.
** The one or two weeks of partner’s leave is not included in the 26 week or 52 week extended leave period.
Salaries are distributed on a monthly basis for work between the first and last day of the month. Payday varies depending on the company and is decided upon hiring, but is most commonly on the 28th of the month.
GST is 15% standard rate.
Set your demo now, and ensure your next payroll cycle runs for itself. Pain free. Guaranteed.Schedule a Demo Today