|Tuesday||Jan-01||New Year's Day||Nieuwjaarsdag|
|Friday||Apr-19||Good Friday||Public sector, banks and insurers|
|Monday||Apr-22||Easter Monday||Monday after Easter Sunday|
|Saturday||Apr-27||King's Birthday||If 27th is a Sunday, celebrations are held on 26th|
|Saturday||May-04||National Remembrance Day||Dodenherdenking|
|Sunday||May-05||Liberation Day||Public sector and schools|
|Thursday||May-30||Ascension Day||40 days after Easter|
|Sunday||Jun-09||Pentecost Sunday||Fifty days after Easter|
|Monday||Jun-10||Whit Monday||7th Monday after Easter. Also Known as Pentecost Monday|
|Wednesday||Dec-25||Christmas Day||Eerste Kerstdag|
|Thursday||Dec-26||St. Stephen's Day||Tweede Kerstdag. Celebrated on 26th December.|
The Netherlands has two World War II Remembrance Days. Neither are annual official holidays, though some establishments may close.
May 4th: honors all those who died in the war, and is similar to Remembrance Day and Veteran's Day.
May 5th: Liberation day is a national holiday once every 5 years (next in 2020). The day commemorates the defeat of German forces in 1945. It may be celebrated every year, but since 2000, it is an official holiday only once every 5 years.
Understand local customs and benefits using our benchmark country guidesGet Country Benchmark
Please fill out the form to get:
– A free copy of our Europe benchmark & benefits guide –
– Our end of year unique offering –
Employer of Record
As low as $700 per month
Discounts apply for a group of employees
From $10 per cycle
Fixed pricing per employee, no other hidden costs
Application costs start at $500
Work directly with the best immigration firms globally
Starting at $50 Per Month
Minimum monthly wage is 1,594.2 EUR monthly.
Full time employment is considered 38 hours weekly (however commonly ranges from 36-40), and 7-8 hours daily.
The pension system is build of three pillars:
1. State pension - old age pension: basic income linked to minimum wage.
- Married couples and couples living together: 50% minimum wage ( approximately 700 EUR monthly.
- Pensioners living alone: 70% minimum wage (approximately 1,000 EUR monthly).
2. Collective pension scheme financed by capital funding: there is no legal obligation for employers to offer a pension, but 90% do. Employees typically contribute between 4%-7%.
3. Individual pension products
Employers contribute 18.96% of workers wages, and employees contribute 17.9% of their salary.
There Are four ways to terminate an employment contract:
1. Mutual consent: in the scenario employees are given a 14 day reflection period during which they can rescind agreement.
2. By permission from the Dutch Employment Agency (UWV WERKbedrijf): for termination on economic grounds, or illness of two years or longer.
3. By dissolution of the contract by the cantonal court: other grounds for termination.
4. By summary dismissal for urgent cause: in cases of serious misconduct.
The statutory notice period for employees is one month. Hoever, a shorter or longer notice period can be agreed upon. Maximum period is six months.
Employers are required to make a transition payment to the terminated employee (if not resulting from misconduct) if they have stayed with the company for at least 2 years. The amount of the payment will be calculated by the numbers of years in service. This payment, however, cannot exceed higher of EUR 75,000 or annual salary of the employee. Payments must be provided as follows:
* 1/6 gross monthly salary (including holiday pay, fixed bonuses etc.) for every six months of service during the first 10 years.
* 1/4 month salary for every 6 months folowing.
* Employees over 50 are entitled to one months salary per year served over 50.
Employees are entitled to receive vacation time provided at a minimum of four times of average number of days worked per week. Normally this vacation is extended to 25 days upon agreement. For personal events, legally mandated paid leave of one to four days is usually allowed. For special circumstances, this leave can be extended.
Employees in the Netherlands can take up to two years of sick leave while continuing to receive 70% of their original salary.
Expecting mothers are entitled to 4-6 weks leave before birth, and 10 after. Two of the weeks alloted to pre-birth leave may also be taken after.
New fathers are entitled to 2 days paid, and 3 days unpaid after the birth of their child.
One year of parental leave paid at 70% rate.
Emergency leave: Paid leave for unforseen circumstances such as illnessor death of a family member. Must always be reasonable request and ranges from a few hours to days depending on the need.
Short-term care leave: Partially paid leave of up to 70% to provide care for parents, ill children still living at home or partners. This leave is only offered if no one else can take care of them. Every year workers are entitled to no more then twice the number of hours worked in a week.
Long-term care leave: Unpaid leave to be taken if a child, partner or parent is seriously (life threateningly) ill and requires care. In a year workers can take half the hours worked as care leave for up to twelve weeks (hours can be distributed differently with employers consent).
Pay frequency is monthly for work between the first and last day of the month.
Payday is at the end of each month.
VAT is 21% standard rate.
Arrange a demo now, and ensure your next payroll cycle runs itself. Pain free. Guaranteed.Schedule a Demo Today